Hello, friends! I can hardly believe I’m sitting down to write this post. I’m here today to recap and wrap up the Shattering Stigmas 4.0 blog event, which has been happening for the past two weeks across five blogs. I want to start by saying a huge thank you to my fellow hosts– Taylor, Ben, Kitty, and Marie— for throwing their time and energy into this event, and for posting so much wonderful content throughout. Special shoutouts to Tay for organizing and spearheading everything this year. <3
shattering stigmas on novel ink
Here’s a recap of what went up on my blog during the event, in case you missed anything!
- I wrote an introduction post!
- Yvonne @ Randomly Creative gave some advice on writing characters with mental illness.
- Sophie @ Sophiesticated Books reviewed What I Lost by Alexandra Ballard, a YA contemporary with eating disorder rep.
- Becky @ Coffee, Cocktails, & Books discussed the importance of mental health rep in YA fiction and give a few recommendations.
- Sarah @ Sarah Reads and Writes talked about the lack of intersectional representation in YA fiction about mental health.
- Cindy offered some tips on what to know about therapy.
- Emma @ Emma Tobias recalled how she discovered comfort in stories.
- Alexis @ The Sloth Reader shared her struggles with depression and how she got help.
- Heidi talked about her history with mental health.
masterlist of all shattering stigmas 4.0 posts
Ben is an angel and created a masterlist of all of the content posted during Shattering Stigmas 4.0, across all five hosts’ blogs. Be sure to check it out and make sure you didn’t miss anything!
Again, a huge thank you to my four co-hosts for this event. You all inspire me and I loved reading your words and the words of all of your guest posters throughout this event. Another thank you goes out to YOU, reading this! Thank you for reading our posts, commenting on them, sharing them– all of this helps to end the stigma surrounding mental health.
You might have notice that there’s one voice you haven’t heard on Novel Ink during Shattering Stigmas: mine. For the sake of transparency, I’ll let you all know that I am not in a great place with my own mental health at the moment. It’s hard to talk about mental illness when you’re in the throes of it, but I will say that reading everyone else’s posts throughout the event made me feel seen and less alone.
Another thank you, of course, goes out to my guest posters! I loved reading your posts, and it was an honor to host all of you on Novel Ink. Thank you for sharing your stories and taking time out of your busy lives to write content for this event! It means a lot to me, and I know it means a lot to all the people who saw themselves and their experiences reflected in your words.
As today is the end of Shattering Stigmas 4.0, this is your last chance to enter our giveaways! In addition to the Rafflecopter giveaway, there is also an international giveaway on Ben’s Twitter for any book featured in an SS 4.0 post and a US only giveaway on Kitty’s Twitter for signed copies of two mental health reads.
Again, thank you all for reading and supporting Shattering Stigmas! I hope you’ve enjoyed everyone’s posts.