Happy New Year, friends! I hope January is off to a great start for you. Today, I’m here to share with you my reading and blogging goals for the year, as well as chat about the challenges I’ll be participating in!
- Read my owned TBR books. This is a simple goal, but I’d love to read all my owned (backlist) TBR books this year. I counted, and I have 27 total unread owned books at the moment– 18 physical, and 9 ebook/audiobook. If I read at least two of these books per month this year, this goal should be easily achievable! Plus, I’m in a Twitter group chat with two of my friends who have the same goal, so we’ll be able to check in with each other at the end of every month and hold each other accountable.
- Have at least 85% of my reading be books by and/or about marginalized people. In 2017, my percentage for this was just over 80%, so I’d like to get that number even higher in 2018!
- Read more nonfiction and more literary fiction. These are two of my favorite genres that I tend to neglect in favor of other books, but I want to make a concerted effort to read more from both these areas in 2018. I also want to stay more on top of new releases in these genres.
- Hit 1,500 Bloglovin’ followers. Our follower growth has become a bit stagnant over the past year or so, and I’d love for that to change in 2018!
- Post more discussions. I don’t know what it is, but I just NEVER seem to be able to come up with discussion topics. And if I do come up with a topic, I can never write a coherent post about it. I want to make a concerted effort to publish more discussions on the blog next year; I know from our reader survey that people love reading them, and I want to give you guys content you’ll enjoy!
- Host more Twitter chats. Jordan @ The Heart of a Book Blogger and I hosted a bookish Twitter chat on New Year’s Eve, and we both had a blast! I would LOVE to host more similar chats in 2018. (But you guys have to promise me to come to them and chat with me, okay?)
- Attend BookNet Fest in September. I had SO MUCH FUN at the inaugural BookNet Fest last year, and I just HAVE to go again this year. In fact, my friends and I have already started making moves to make that happen.
2018 reading and blogging challenges
I set my Goodreads Reading Challenge, as always, at 52 books. Do I usually (always) read more than this? Yes. But you just never know what life is going to throw at you in any given year, and I like to leave room for that. 52 should be an achievable goal for me, no matter what happens. (If you’re asking yourself, “why 52 books???,” it’s because that averages out to one book per week for the year.)
Beat the Backlist
Beat the Backlist is a reading challenge hosted by Austine @ Novel Knight. The goal of this challenge is simple: to knock out the backlist books (books released prior to 2018) on your TBR. Every participant sets their own goal, and when you sign up, you get randomly assigned to a team that you can earn points for (and potentially win prizes, too!). My personal goal for Beat the Backlist is quite straighforward– I want to read all 27 of my owned backlist books mentioned above.
The goal of this challenge, hosted by Nori @ ReadWriteLove28, is to visit and comment on 365 different blogs in 2018 (it can be any blog, not just book blogs, although I’ll probably comment primarily on book blogs). It sounds daunting, but I think this should be achievable! I’m all about spreading the blogger love and hopefully discovering some great new book blogs in the process!
I’m looking forward to another wonderful year of reading and blogging! Are you participating in any challenges this year? If so, which ones?
Latest posts by Madalyn (see all)
- Guest Post: Mental Health is an Ongoing Journey | Shattering Stigmas 2018 - October 18, 2018
- Guest Post: Dealing with Depression | Shattering Stigmas 2018 - October 17, 2018
- Guest Post: Finding Solace in Stories | Shattering Stigmas 2018 - October 16, 2018