Today, I’ll be filling out the 2017 End of Year Book Survey, which was created by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner. Even though I’m participating in the Top 10 of 2017 event next week, this survey gives a good overview of my reading for the year, and it addresses things that won’t be covered in those posts. I always enjoy doing this survey– it’s just a nice way to reflect on and wrap up my reading. Without further ado, let’s jump into the stats and questions!
Number of books you read: 165 (as of December 19th)
Number of re-reads: 1 (WHO AM I??? I love rereading; this makes me sad.)
Genre you read the most from: YA Contemporary
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
Here are my two absolute favorites (I have a post going up next week about my top ten reads):
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I fully expected to love this one, but it ended up being one of my few DNFs of the year.
3. Most surprising (in a good way
or bad way) book you read?
I FELL IN LOVE with this graphic novel series this year.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I made all my IRL friends read these two series this year and loaned out my copies countless times.
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
Starter (sequels to both of these come out in 2018, eep!):
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Celeste Ng!! I read both of her books this year and fell in love with her writing.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I’m rarely in the mood to read romance, but I adored this f/f romance between two professional ballerinas!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I listened to the audiobook for this one, and I could not stop listening. Soooo compulsively readable (and excellent!).
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Audrey Rose Wadsworth from Stalking Jack the Ripper
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
Literally, not a day has gone by since I read this book that I haven’t thought about it.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
“We are a country built by immigrants, dreams, daring, and opportunity. We are a country built by the horrors of slavery and genocide, the injustice of racism and exclusion. These realities exist side by side. It is our past and our present. The future is unwritten. This is a book about ghosts. For we live in a haunted house.”
–Before the Devil Breaks You by Libba Bray
“I believe in nature, in science, in jazz, in dancing. And I believe in people. In their resilience, in their goodness. This is my credo; this is my hymn. Maybe it’s not enough for heaven, and maybe I’m even wrong. But if I can walk through the fire and, with blistered skin, still have faith in better days? I have to believe that’s good enough.”
–The Names They Gave Us by Emery Lord
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
Shortest (28 pages):
Longest (701 pages):
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
*prolonged internal screaming because THAT ENDING*
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Kai and Ellie from The Girl with the Red Balloon. <3
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
The entire main crew in Before the Devil Breaks You. They’re all my childREN I LOVE THEM SO MUCH.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
SHOUTOUT TO MY GIRL EMILY FOR THIS ONE
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Thomas Cresswell, y’all.
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
Let’s go on a journey of all the books I cried reading this year…
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (
doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
I genuinely struggled to not throw this book across the room when I read the plot twist.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I have two favorites: my discussion about my favorite bookstores around the world, and my fall book releases anti-haul.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
BookNet Fest! <3 <3 <3
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
Bringing Bee on as my co-blogger here at Novel Ink. 🙂
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Coming up with original ideas for discussion posts. Still struggling a bit with that one, tbh.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Our two most popular posts this year in terms of views were Bee’s post on her favorite books with m/m romances, and my blog tour + review of The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Just reviews in general. I LOVE writing reviews (weird, I know), and I put a lot of time into writing thoughtful reviews for relatively little interaction. Plus, I feel like reviews are by far my best-written posts. That’s okay, though! I still love writing them and nothing is going to change that.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Probably the #OTSPSecretSister project, which I started participating in this year! Although, in terms of material things, I love Canterbury Road Co.’s bookish candles.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Yes! I met my Goodreads goal (52 books, which will always and forever be what I set as my Goodreads goal), and I also met my personal in-my-head goal of reading over 100 books! Plus, I attended a larger bookish conference/event, which was one of my goals for this year.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number One Priority in 2018?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
Also, The Spy with the Red Balloon by Katherine Locke, which does not have a cover yet.
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Read more backlist books!
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Everyone needs to read this book. It’s a thoughtful, sad, beautiful exploration of rape culture. Plus, it features an awesome f/f romance.
Have you done this survey? If so, leave me a link in the comments! If not, tell me about your favorite book of 2017!